Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Going Home

It's Wednesday morning in Dublin April 21st.

I have a 5 o'clock shadow that would put both Homer Simpson and George Michael to shame. In my carry on I have one clean t-shirt, one clean pair of underwear and one clean pair of socks. I have no idea how I managed to get that right a week ago. Room service is on its way, and I just received a text message from Aer Lingus:

"On current information, we hope to operate your flight EI125 21th [yup that is 21th not 21st] April to schedule. Please check in as normal. Enjoy your flight. Aer Lingus"

It looks like my luck of the Irish is turning. The Eyjafjallajökull ash plume has been haunting me and hundreds of thousands of other stranded airline travelers for a week now. It looks like there has been a significant change in the weather and winds are now carrying the ash plume east towards the US.

Picture taken from the MET Office: http://bit.ly/98v47p

The IAA has yet to make a statement today but wrote yesterday that airlines will be focusing on positioning aircraft and crews and that getting back to full service may take up to three days.

I'm crossing my fingers for today and hope to make it back to the States. If you are one of the many people struggling to get home here are some helpful links:

Dublin Airport next!

1 comment:

  1. This was right when I was home in Scotland and trying to get back to San Francisco too. Cheeky bugger that volcano was!

    ReplyDelete